Thursday 6 January 2011

A film noir inspired piece about a lonely man who meets a mysterious woman in a bar By Tara Lee Knight


Killing Time from Tara Lee Knight on Vimeo.


   I searched vimeo to find some film noir style mini films that would have a sort of bar or another scene similar to how I want my scenes to look, from a young film maker like myself. I found this one and while I do like the sin-city neo-noir almost animated style of the setting of the outside of the bar, and think the narration fits in with the film noir conventions, with the close-up shots building tension, concentrating on the two main characters chemistry. I'm not too sure if the australian accent (not that I have anything against it) fits in with the film noir style, it's just not the accent you would expect to hear. The femme fatale seductions works well but in my OTS I'm going to have Jack (the anti-hero) seduce the femme fatale and let him have the power over her situation.
   I like the shots of the eyes and lips to show emotion and seduction, but some shots don't seem elegant enough, like the quick close-up of him putting out his cigarette, whereas in mine I want Jack to lightly tap the cigarette into the ash tray. I like the shadows created and the almost silhouettes, which add to the mystery, but think the ending of it is quite a change in pace compared to beginning and middle. I think its a bit too sudden and graphic and gory, and makes it slightly comedic, but perhaps she wanted this affect, to break the tension suddenly instead of slowly or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment