Thursday 24 March 2011

Editing, The Credits and the Chosen Font

  • I wasn't sure whether or not to have full credits in my OTS, and after I finished editing all of my clips I realised I didnt have enough time to put any more credits in apart from the title of the film and the '2 weeks earlier...' bit. Plus, I don't much like many credits, like for example in the 1946 film 'The Killers' all the credits are at the beginning. I finally chose my font after looking at different types like the one below which is called Betty Noir (http://www.dafont.com/betty-noir.font). I really liked this font and when I saw it, it made me instantly think of Film Noir. But the colour was too dark and harsh looking against the lightness of the last clip and so I decided on a different font that was lighter.


  • This is the chosen font (BlairMdITC TT) but on the editing software of Imovie it is white in the middle with a black outline.
  • I like the simpleness of it and how it looks quite smart and to a state of perfection, which is how the two main man characters see themselves.
  • Other possible font styles were Mesquite std, Chapparal pro, Eccentric std or Baskerville.

  • I chose the credit style of Centred Tile which made the writing fade in and out of the middle. Other possible choices where Subtitle and Music Video.

  • When editing I used transitions such as cross dissolve (which merged two scenes together subtly and not too dramatically, pleasant on the eye to watch), wash in and wash out when the flashback that Jack remembered happened, helping to indicate and show this is happening. I changed it all to black and white to fit in with the film noir genre and conventions and increased the contrast in some of the scenes to keep the colour tones flowing through scene to scene.

  • I had to letterbox certain scenes as I had filmed using two different cameras (though not at the same time, even though I had planned this, but on the day of filming it was not possible to get hold of two cameras) and only scenes from one camera had automatically letterboxed.

  • Luckily, I had used an old camera so the quality wasn't fantastic, but this is exactly the effect I wanted as I wanted it to look old and aged and also then I didn't have to edit it to make it look grainy or gritty with texture, becasue it already had it on it.

  • I also had to edit some of the sound as I needed it to sound like it was actually in the scene, so with the audio fx, I changed the Graphic EQ and I lowered the bass, midrange and treble.

  • I was going to change all of it or just some of it such as the flashback to color monochrome of a sort of orange/brown to make it look sepia-ish. But luckily I found out that it wouldn't have fitted in with the film noir genre as they would have opted for black and white mostly because back then you would have had to convert the film to colour which would have been much more expensive than just black and white, and film noirs weren't exactly your huge budget film.




This is one of the many film noir film posters that I looked at when researching the different fonts and styles. This photo stood out to me because of its slanted eye catching title (very popular) and its typical hand drawn/painted picture of the anti-hero and femme fatale with the even more so stereotypical blinds, that sometimes cast shadows, indicating entrapment.

Another one that stood out to me was the film poster for the film noir film Dead Reckoning. Once again having the curved brightly coloured font film title, totally contrasting with the black and white style of the film.

 Bogart is the tough guy anti-hero who is on a quest for truth and vengence, the quintessential femme fatale being Lizabeth Scott who the hero falls for, but is never entirely sure of.




This is me finishing off some of my editing in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment